How Can I Get Involved?
Teachers, PTAs, and School Staff: Take advantage of the Harvest of the Month day at your school to talk about good nutrition, local agriculture, and so much more! See the Resources page for each Harvest of the Month item for educational and outreach materials, and contact us for information or support.
- Learning about eating begins at home. Help your kids be curious about food and become adventurous eaters by:
- Shopping for groceries together
- Growing food
- Harvesting food you or local farmers have grown
- Cooking together
- Talking about memorable meals
- Encourage your children to try school lunch on the Harvest of the Month day, and other school meals featuring fresh and local products (check your school menu for details).
Parents & Community members: Contribute your time, talents, dollars, and encouragement.
- Contact us to find out about volunteer opportunities happening in the cafeteria or classroom, with taste testing and nutrition lessons.
- Find out about volunteer opportunities happening in school gardens and cooking with students. Click here to volunteer with Common Threads Farm and School Garden Collective.
- Donate to local organizations supporting healthy, fresh, and local food in schools, including:
- Meal program improvements and food education in Bellingham Schools: Bellingham Public Schools Foundation
- Whatcom Farm-to-School: Whatcom Community Foundation
- School gardens and classroom cooking: Common Threads
- Promotion of local food: Sustainable Connections Food & Farming Program
- Capacity-building for local farms: Community Food Co-op Farm Fund
- Advocacy for farm-to-school policy and funding: Washington Sustainable Food & Farming Network
For more ideas about how you can get involved, please see our handouts: