Truck Farm Garden ContestVisit www.truckfarm.org to join the Truck Farm Garden Contest! Open to everyone. Plant a seed in a creative place, nurture it to life, snap a photo and send it our way before June 1, 2013. Judges Michael Pollan, Alice Water and Marion Nestle will pick a winner by June 15th - and the winner receives a prize!
Check out the May flyer.
Harvest of the MonthEach month, a Whatcom-grown fruit or vegetable is featured on the school lunch menu, and educational materials are provided for students, teachers, and parents. Harvest of the Month provides a great opportunity to try new foods, talk about food choices, and think about where our food comes from.
The Lunch Room: Wenatchee’s Farm to School Movement
Helping Students Fall in Love with Real Foods Everyday
Whatcom County Facts & Figures
- 30,000 students, age 5-18 years
- 57 public schools and 20 independent schools
- 41% of students qualify for free-and-reduced lunch programs
- 30% of residents eat the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables
- 60% of residents are overweight or obese
- 1500 farms (half of what we had in the 1950s)
- 100,000 acres in farmland (half of what we had in the 1950s)
- 2% of all the food purchased in Whatcom County is grown, raised or caught here